Composites / Plastics
Composites / Plastics companies
Home to the research and development facilities of the University of Tennessee and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the 15-county
Knoxville-Oak Ridge region has become a center of expertise for advanced composites materials.
The region’s R&D capabilities and access to user facilities provides a significant advantage to the plastics and composites sector.
- The Department of Energy's 42,000 sq. ft. Carbon Fiber Technology Facility, located at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, offers a 390’ highly flexible, highly instrumented carbon fiber line with a capacity of up to 25 tons per year.
- Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation
- 3D Manufacturing Demonstration Facility
- The University of Tennessee highly ranked College of Engineering offers a degree in Materials Science
- Roane State Community College offers an Advanced Composites Employment program
- Cherokee Farm Innovation Campus and Research Park
- A growing, trained manufacturing workforce of 45,000
- 50+ companies in the sector employing more than 2,500 workers in the region
- Seven University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National Laboratory Governor's Chairs in Advanced Composites Manufacturing at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville